Regional response to coronavirus pandemic prompts widespread airline service reductions in Europe as of March 12. Reconfirm flights.
Severity: Warning Alert
The locations affected by this alert are:
- London, England
This alert began 12 Mar 2020 16:53 GMT and is scheduled to expire 31 Mar 2020 23:59 GMT.
- Event: Airline service reductions
- Location(s): Europe (map)
- Time Frame: Indefinite
- Impact: Air travel disruptions; increased demand for available services
National governments and major airlines in Europe continue to announce flight route suspensions and flight cancellations in response to widespread travel restrictions and a sharp decline in demand as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Ryanair (FR), British Airways (BA), Alitalia (AZ) and Lufthansa (LH) have announced the most severe disruptions, with dozens of routes suspended and thousands of flights canceled as of March 12. Additionally, numerous major airlines have suspended all but emergency evacuation flights to and from Italy after the Italian government imposed a quarantine lockdown on the entire country March 9. Details of announced disruptions to major airlines are as follows:
- Air France-KLM: The dual airline will cancel 3,600 regional flights through March 31. All flights to Italy to be suspended March 14-April 3. Flights to China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan suspended through March 29.
- Alitalia: All international flights suspended March 9-April 3.
- British Airways: International flight services reduced March 16-28. Flights to China and Italy cancelled.
- easyJet: All flights to Italy cancelled through April 3. Flight services reduced networkwide.
- Lufthansa: Thousands of flights canceled through April 24.
- Ryanair: All flight services reduced approximately 25 percent March 17-April 8. Flights to and from Italy canceled from 2359 March 13.
- Norwegian: Thousands of flights canceled networkwide March 15-June 15.
- Scandinavian Airlines: Officials announce reduction in network capacity as of March 3.
- TAP Air Portugal: All flights with Italy canceled through March 23.
- Turkish Airlines: All flights with China, Italy, Iran, South Korea and Azerbaijan canceled through April 1.
Further airline service reductions will likely be announced in coming days as the response to the pandemic evolves. Other airlines could implement similar service reductions and further flight cancellations in the coming weeks. Airlines will extend the period of reduced services in response to developments in the effort to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
Elsewhere, authorities in Paris, France, and Oslo, Norway, are considering closing airport terminals in response to reduced flight traffic. Further such actions are likely throughout Europe.
Confirm flights if scheduled to travel on European airlines or transit European airports in the coming weeks. Arrive at the airport early to prevent your seat being reallocated to a standby passenger. Do not check out of accommodations until onward travel is confirmed.