Numerous airlines suspend all flights to Italy starting March 10 due to COVID-19 lockdown. Confirm all flights.
Severity: Warning Alert
This alert began 10 Mar 2020 16:42 GMT and is scheduled to expire 04 Apr 2020 23:59 GMT.
- Event: Flight suspensions
- Location(s): Nationwide (map)
- Date: March 10-Early April
- Impact: Many flights to and from Italy canceled
Numerous major European airlines have suspended all flights to and from Italy after the Italian government imposed a quarantine lockdown on the entire country March 9. In addition, several European countries have prohibited all flights from Italy due to the lockdown and fears of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) spreading from Italy.
Airline flight suspensions include:
- Aer Lingus (EI): Suspending all flights to and from Italy March 11-April 3.
- Alitalia (AZ): Suspending all international flights from Milan's Malpensa (MXP) and Linate (LIN) airports March 9-April 3.
- British Airways (BA): Suspending all flights to and from Italy March 10-April 4.
- EasyJet (U2): Canceling all flights to and from Italy March 10-12, will likely cancel additional flights beyond March 12.
- Jet2 (LS): Suspending all flights to and from Italy March 9-April 26.
- Ryanair (FR): Suspending all flights to and from Italy March 14-April 8, and all domestic Italian flights March 12-April 8.
In addition, Spain has prohibited all flight arrivals from Italy March 11-25, while Denmark has banned all flight arrivals from the northern Italian provinces of Emilia-Romagna, Lombardy, Marche, Piedmont, Valle d'Aosta, and Veneto.
All major Italian airports remain open, including Milan Malpensa Airport (MXP), Rome's Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport (FCO), and Venice Marco Polo Airport (VCE).
Additional flight suspensions and national flight bans are highly likely in the coming days. The end dates for the service suspensions are highly tentative; airlines may extend or shorten their service suspensions with little notice.
Confirm all flights to and from Italy through the first week of April. If traveling from Italy, make contingency plans for leaving the country in case flights are unavailable. Consider changing departure dates to leave Italy before flight suspensions take effect.
Aer Lingus: www.aerlingus.com
British Airways: www.britishairways.com
Milan Malpensa Airport: www.milanomalpensa-airport.com
Rome Leonoardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport: www.adr.it
Venice Marco Polo Airport: www.veneziaairport.it