Severity: Informational Alert
Vehicles and Roads: Bus service serving Tshwane, Gauteng Province, South Africa, remains suspended July 5 after several drivers test positive for COVID-19.
- Alert Begins: 05 Jul 2020 11:03 AM UTC
- Alert Expires: 08 Jul 2020 11:59 PM UTC
- Incident: Bus service disruptions
- Location(s): City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality, Gauteng Province (map)
- Time Frame: Through early July
- Impact: Public transport disruptions
The Tshwane Bus Service (TBS) serving the City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality suspended operations July 3, after several TBS employees tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). The suspension, which remains ongoing July 5, will be lifted once all bus depots and vehicles are disinfected.
The suspension of bus transport will increase pressure on and increase demand for alternative forms of public transport. Once TBS services resume, further disruptions remain likely given the increasing number of COVID-19 cases being reported in Gauteng Province. The recent closure follows a similar suspension of operations June 26-30 after a bus driver tested positive for COVID-19.
Reconfirm TBS services before departure and plan for increased demand and possible delays on alternative forms of public transportation.