Authorities expand stricter health screenings to more international airports in North America, Jan. 28. Delays possible.
Severity: Informational Alert
The locations affected by this alert are:
- Mexico City
- San Juan
- Toronto, Ont.
- Vancouver, B.C.
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Chicago, Illinois
- Houston, Texas
- Los Angeles, California
- Washington, DC
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
- Detroit, Michigan
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Miami, Florida
- Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota
- New York City, New York
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- San Diego, California
- San Francisco, California
- Seattle, Washington
- Montreal, Que.
- Anchorage, Alaska
- El Paso, Texas
- Newark, New Jersey
This alert began 28 Jan 2020 22:49 GMT and is scheduled to expire 28 Jan 2020 23:59 GMT.
- Incident: Increased screenings
- Location(s): Multiple locations in the US, Canada, and Mexico (map)
- Time Frame: Through at least early February
- Impact: Longer immigration wait times for travelers, especially those from China
Authorities in the US, Canada, and Mexico have expanded stricter health screenings to more international airports, as of Jan. 28. The precaution follows an increase in reported cases of 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan and other eastern Chinese cities, as well as confirmed cases in other countries, and of people traveling from the affected regions.
The impacted airports are:
- US: Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International (ATL), Los Angeles International (LAX), O'Hare International in Chicago (ORD), John F. Kennedy International in New York (JFK), San Francisco International (SFO), George Bush Intercontinental in Houston (IAH), Dallas-Fort Worth International (DFW), San Diego International (SAN), Seattle-Tacoma International (SEA), Daniel K. Inouye International in Honolulu (HNL), Ted Stevens Anchorage International (ANC), Minneapolis-St. Paul International (MSP), Detroit Metropolitan (DTW), Miami International (MIA), Dulles International near Washington, DC (IAD), Philadelphia International (PHL), Newark Liberty International (EWR), Logan International in Boston (BOS), El Paso International (ELP), and Luis Munoz Marin International in San Juan (SJU)
- Canada: Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ), Vancouver International Airport (YVR), and Montreal-Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
- Mexico: Monterrey International Airport (MTY), Guadalajara International Airport (GDL), Cancun International Airport (CUN), Mexico City International Airport (MEX), and Tijuana International Airport (TIJ)
Authorities may include airports in more cities in the coming days. The stricter health screenings are likely to affect travelers from international destinations, especially those coming from China.
Follow all official instructions. Allow additional time for immigration and health screenings, especially if traveling from China. Consider delaying travel if experiencing symptoms associated with 2019 novel coronavirus, as they may prompt increased scrutiny and delays.
Exercise basic health precautions, especially frequent handwashing with soap and water, or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are unavailable. There is no evidence that the influenza vaccine, antibiotics, or antiviral medications will prevent this disease, highlighting the importance of diligent basic health precautions.