Activists to rally in multiple locations across the US Jan. 9 to protest potential for military conflict with Iran.
Severity: Warning Alert
The locations affected by this alert are:
- Chicago, Illinois
- Los Angeles, California
- Washington, DC
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- New York City, New York
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- San Francisco, California
- Seattle, Washington
This alert began 08 Jan 2020 19:33 GMT and is scheduled to expire 10 Jan 2020 08:00 GMT.
- Event: Anti-war demonstrations
- Location: Multiple locations (map)
- Date: Jan. 9
- Impact: Heightened security measures; localized transport and business disruptions
Several activist groups, including MoveOn and Indivisible, intend to hold demonstrations throughout the US Jan. 9 to protest the perceived potential for military conflict with Iran over the Jan. 3 killing of Iranian Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani in a US airstrike in Iraq. The protests slated to take place at the following locations and times will likely be among the largest of the gatherings:
- Boston: Harvard Square in Cambridge, starting at 1630
- Chicago: Lake Shore Drive Bridge, starting at 1700
- Dallas: Senator John Cornyn's Office, starting at 1700
- Las Vegas: Federal Courthouse, starting at 1700
- Los Angeles: Los Angeles City Hall, starting at 1700
- New York City: Columbus Circle, starting at 1700
- Philadelphia: Dilworth Park, starting at 1700
- San Francisco: One Post Plaza, starting at 1700
- Seattle: Alaska Junction, starting at 1700
- Washington, DC: US Capitol, starting at 1630
Protests have been organized in several other locations nationwide. Some of the largest events could attract thousands of demonstrators, although most of the rallies will likely draw participation in the hundreds. Authorities will almost certainly deploy increased security measures near any protests, especially those held near government buildings. Localized transport and business disruptions are likely.
Avoid all protests as a standard precaution and to minimize the potential for associated disruptions. Allow additional time to reach destinations near announced rally sites Jan. 9.
The information in this document is provided by WorldAware. While WorldAware constantly monitors the changing world situation and strives for accuracy and timeliness, this information is provided to you on an "as is" basis, and your use of this information is at your own risk.