Security: Activists to protest in UK cities Jan. 8, 9, and 11 to denounce the killing of an Iranian general. Increased security, disruptions likely.
Severity: Warning Alert
The locations affected by this alert are:
- London, England
- Birmingham, England
- Edinburgh, Scotland
- Liverpool, England
- Cardiff, Wales
- Newcastle, England
- Bristol, England
This alert began 07 Jan 2020 12:44 GMT and is scheduled to expire 11 Jan 2020 23:59 GMT.
- Event: Anti-war demonstrations
- Location: London, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Newcastle (map)
- Date: Jan 8, 9, and 11
- Impact: Increased security; localized transportation disruptions likely
Peace activists affiliated with the Stop the War Coalition, the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, and other groups plan to protest in major British cities Jan. 8, 9, and 11 to denounce the recent killing of Iranian Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani in Baghdad by US forces. A national demonstration will take place in London Jan. 11; thousands of people are likely to gather on Portland Place between 1200-1500, and precedent suggests they could march toward Trafalgar Square and Westminster. Organizers have also scheduled the following demonstrations:
- Cardiff: 1730 Aneurin Bevan Statue, Queen Street
- Birmingham: 1700 High Street
- Edinburgh: 1730 Wellington Statue, Princes Street
- Newcastle: 1130 Greys Monument
- Bristol: 1200 The Fountains
- Liverpool: 1300 Saint Luke's Church Gardens, Leece Street
Smaller-scale events are possible in other cities Jan. 8-11. Attendance at events outside of London could reach the low hundreds. Police will deploy to monitor and facilitate the protests. Large numbers of people and associated crowd-control measures, including road closures and movement restrictions, will likely result in localized transport disruptions, particularly in central London Jan. 11. Related events are likely to pass off without incident.
Avoid all demonstrations as a routine security precaution and to mitigate associated disruptions. Leave the area at the first sign of a confrontation.