California Wildfire Overview
Currently, there are more than a dozen active wildfires burning throughout California. The main fires - the Mendocino Complex Fire, the Carr Fire, and the Ferguson Fire - have been active for nearly a month, and have burned over 500,000 acres combined.
Click here to listen to our Sr. Environment Analyst discuss the wildfires, what's fueling the fires, how businesses can mitigate risk, and whether or not it's safe to travel to California.
Access the latest wildfire alerts for each of the following fires:
- Identified on 07/23/2018, the Carr Fire is 75% contained and is located in Redding, California.
- The fire has burned over 218,000 acres.
- The fire has destroyed at least 1,604 structures in the area.
- Mandatory evacuations have been lifted in and around Redding city limits.
- Identified on 07/23/2018, the Ferguson Fire is 80% contained in Mariposa County, California.
- The fire has burned over 91,000 acres.
- Though most evacuation orders have been lifted for residents, parts of Yosemite National Park remain closed to the public.
- The Holy Fire ignited on August 6, 2018, in the Cleveland National Forest.
- The fire has burned over 9,000 acres in parts of Orange and Riverside counties.
- Over 20,000 residents have been placed under mandatory evacuations.
- As of Aug. 13, the fire exceeded 50% containment.
Mendocino Complex Fire
- Identified on 07/28/2018, the Mendocino Complex fire is comprised of two separate fires: the Ranch Fire and the River Fire.
- Combined, these fires have burned more than 400,000 acres.
- The River Fire (the smaller of the two fires) is 100% contained, while the Ranch Fire is estimated to be 67% contained.
- As of Aug. 27, mandatory evacuations have been lifted in Lake and Mendocino counties.
On-Air with WorldAware
Sean Wolinsky, meteorologist and Sr. Environment Intelligence Analyst, discusses the California wildfires, including the latest on fire containment and evacuation orders, how travelers can stay safe while traveling to California, what businesses can do to mitigate risk, and what to expect for the remaining wildfire season.
About WorldAware Intelligence
WorldAware provides intelligence-driven, integrated risk management solutions that enable multinational organizations to operate globally with confidence. WorldAware's end-to-end tailored solutions integrated world-class threat intelligence, innovative technology, and response services to help organizations mitigate risk and protect their employees, assets, and reputation.